Friday, December 7, 2007

A bit about us...

I strive to follow the Way set out for me through the Word of God and teach it to our children.
I adore my husband....my Sweetman.... He is my best friend and I can't imagine life without him. He is a wonderful father to our kids and I am so thankful for him. He takes such good care of us. He is an adventurous fella and full of passion and drive. I run to keep up with him.
Our children have been such an adventure. I have loved the task of raising them. Our oldest, Joshua, turned 18 this year and will be graduating this summer from our humble homeschool. It really is so hard to believe that my sweet, little boy is almost done. I miss him being little though I have really enjoyed him so much. I was always a bit intimidated by the "teen years" because of what others have said but, I have found these years with him alot of fun. He is on the path to be a fine man, much like his father.
Now, we are surrounded by teen girls!!! Our daughters are Danielle, who is 16. Kaitlin, who is 15, and Emily is 13. We will soon be adding Olivia to that roster also. She is 12 and can hardly wait for the seemingly magical number of 13.
Then we get back to the boys...one anyway. Jacob is 9 and a very good big brother. He is a real help with the younger ones. He loves to catch snakes and lizards around our place. Last summer he and Olivia caught 23(!!!) in one afternoon. Janae is next at 6 and she adores her big brothers and sisters, most of the time. She is a very amusing child with an amazing imagination. She is such a funny bird. She loves to follow Jacob around on adventures in the 'jungle' (the forest behind our home).
Our last two are more boys...yeah!!!! Nothing against girls, we adore our girls. We are just enjoying having boys again after a gaggle of girls. This is the first time we have had two boys together. Caleb is 3 and as busy as that age suggests. He keeps us all very amused so, either he is a very bright boy or we are easily amused....I am going with the former. My unbiased opinion, of course!! ;) Next is Gideon...he is a very quizzical 13 month old. Always watching and looking so serious at everything. He is a buster at 27 lbs.!!!!! He didn't stay in the cute, little baby clothes for long. So sad...he is already in 12-18 month sizes. It won't be long and he will be as big as Caleb.
We have homeschooled our brood from the get go minus a 6 month stint in first grade for Joshua. Not a good experience for him or us. We are a bit eclectic in our homeschool though I do lean heavily towards Charlotte Mason and a mix of Classical and Principle approaches. It took me awhile to get it figured out. It dawned on me that I kept choosing books or curriculum with those ideas. So, I became more focused (finally!!!) but still flexible.
The flexibility really came into play when my mom was diagnosed with ALS (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis). My siblings and I helped my dad care for her for almost 4 years. So, obviously, we had to be flexible with our schedule. Sadly, my mom passed away two years ago. We all miss her horribly. It was difficult having Gideon after her passing. She always came over and took care of us after a birth. It was very strange without her.

Well, I just wanted to post a bit about us. Kids are sounding busy so, I had better go make sure nothing is on fire!!!

No comments: