Thursday, November 26, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving Day to all!!!

I am home with my family today for Thanksgiving. Just my dh, my children and me. The house is warm and smelling of turkey and cornbread stuffing. It is a drizzly day in the Pacific Northwest and it has made me reflect on past Thanksgiving days.
Remembering when I was a little girl and waking up to my mother already cooking and preparing for the feast to come. As I grew up, helping her and learning from her. What to prepare first, setting the table, making our home warm and welcoming. Playing games with my sister and looking forward to all of the wonderful, yummy pies set aside for after we had thoroughly stuffed ourselves with turkey and all of the trimmings. Dad saying the prayer over our meal and thanking the Lord for our blessings.
I am a little sad today as this is the first Thanksgiving that I don't have all of my children with me. My son is spending it with another family and I miss the thought of having all of my babies here. I know!! They grow up and start their lives and I am truly fine with that. It is just marking the passage of time and how quickly life changes.
This is my fourth Thanksgiving without my Mom. I have been thinking of her a lot lately and missing her greatly. Other than my dh she was my closest friend. *sigh* Seems like yesterday, I was cooking with her and we were laughing together about life, the children's antics...
However, with all of the curve balls that life throws at us, I am so thankful for all that the Lord has blessed us with, our health, our home, work for my dh and the ability to stay home and raise our children to honor God.

~ The one who offers Thanksgiving as his sacrifice glorifies Me; to one who orders his way rightly. I will show the salvation of God. ~

~ It is good to give thanks to the Lord, and to sing praises to Your name, O Most High; to declare Your loving-kindness in the morning, and Your faithfulness by night...for You, O Lord, have made me glad by what you done, I will sing for joy at the work of Your hands. How great are Your works, O Lord! ~

Blessings to you and yours ~ Nadine

No comments: